Friday, December 22, 2006

Christmas madness and the poop chair

What a crazy month! I need to be writing more often so I don't have to cover so much of a time span all at once. So it's only a few days before Christmas and I am FINALLY done with most all of my shopping. I had this insane goal of trying to be all done by the first week of December, but has that happened? Not so much. For some reason, it is still hard for me to accept that you just can't get that much in during the day with a toddler. I write these silly lists of all the places I want to get to in one afternoon and then MAYBE get to two before Jane goes into meltdown mode. When I try to fit in too many errands, it soon becomes a battle just to leave a store without her breaking something or bursting into tears because I took some fascinating object away from her and I rush out trying not to cause a scene. Why do I never learn? Sometimes though, it makes me giggle when a store employee will comment on how cute Jane is as she is toddling down an isle and I think "yeah, you just wait about 10 minutes and then see how cute she is when she leaves your store looking like Katrina just hit it...".

She also isn't a fan of having to get in and out of the car all the time and the only way I have found to keep her happy in the car is having a stash of animal crackers at all times that I can hand to her. The only problem is that now she equates riding in the car with "duddoos" (cookies) and will ask everytime we get in, no matter what. AND, she gets pretty mad when the stash has run dry. Sometimes she evens asks to go "bubbye" and when I say "oh, you want to go bubbye in the car?" she instantly says "duddoo!!!" Right. You just want the cookie.

However, Jane is actually getting more fun everyday. Running errands can be difficult, but really, for the most part, Jane is so cute. We have a lot of fun together. This month has been rough for her because she has spent most of it sick. The first week she had a really bad cold and of course, the accompanying ear infection. Did you know that infected ears that don't drain really smell bad? At first I thought the smell was her breath and kept brushing her teeth over and over, but then I clued in, and figured out it was her ear. Honestly, I think the poor thing lives with a continuous ear ache. I took her in and got her some ear drops, but eventually we had to switch to hard core antibiotics. THEN, she got rotovirus. It's a nasty little thing. We were coming home from Target where she had seemed just fine, and then she just suddenly threw up in the car. She had fallen out of her crib for the first time that same day, so I started to get worried that she had another concussion, but as she got progressively sicker that night, I took her to Instacare and the doctor said the symptoms fit a bug going around called rotovirus. Yuck. She was so miserable. I had never seen her like that before. She just wanted to be held and rocked. Nothing else. She didn't even want to move. She continued to throw-up and have diarrhea the next day, but soon it seemed to be clearing up...then, about 4 days into it, the virus hit her really hard and she was pretty much lifeless for the whole day. I think she was only awake for about 5 hours out of the day. It was so sad. But, as of a few days ago, I think we finally kicked it. What a yucky experience. Why can't I keep her healthy? I swear I try to keep our hands washed and she isn't really around lots of little kids all the time...grrrrr ....so frustrating.

But a funny story did come from the whole experience. One night, after changing a really runny poopy diaper, I decided she needed a bath. She seemed to be doing a little better and was in good spirits. She loves bathtime and especially loves running around the house naked, with Jevan and I chasing her. She giggles and laughs her little heart out. So, that night, I let her run wild for a little while. She kept running to the big lazyboy rocker we have in her room and wanting to get on it. I decided to humor her since she finally had a smile on her face after so many miserable days. She would get on and off and run down the hall and then come back. I sat her on the chair on more time and began picking up some of her books when I noticed the sock she had in her hand had something wierd and green on it. As I peered over the side of the chair, there was Jane, sitting in puddle of her own muck. YUCK! "Jane, you pooped on the chair?!!!!" So gross. After getting it all cleaned up (it all came out amazingly well - you would never know it happened) I made a mental note to myself. Lesson learned. Never trust a naked wildwoman with acute diarrhea.

Now that Jane is all better, including no ear infections, she has become a totally different child. She is so happy most all the time, and giggles continuously. She has also developed this little devilish cackle that just cracks us up. She thinks she is one seriously funny chicka. She is learning new little words and tricks all the time that she is always surprising me with. The other day, she came up to me with one of her favorite books wanting me to read it to her. She kept saying in a little sing-song voice, "rah rah rah" over and over. So we took the book and went into her room to read. It is a book that has a bunch of singable nursery rhymes in it like "Little Cottage in the Wood" and "Row, row, row your boat". When we got to one of her personal favorites, "The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round" and I started singing it to her, she suddenly joined in with her "rah rah rah", following the pitches of my voice. She was singing "round and round"! The cutest part of the whole thing was when I got to "all through the town", she sang "all trooo" (her words for "all through") like she says when she is done eating or wants to get out of the bath. She had clued in on the words and thought, hey, I know how to say that! It was so so adorable. I love this little Jane.

She has added a horse neighing into her zoo language and has also added "sock" to her vocabulary. She is getting so good at communicating just with body language and by using the same baby words for the same things...like "baba" is a binky and "dootch" is juice or a drink.

Last night, we had Jevan's extended family Christmas party at his Uncle Doug's house. It is this gargantuous thing in Draper and is just beautiful. It held all 50+ of us easily! The best part was after dinner, we all headed downstairs and sang Christmas carols and swapped presents. Jane was mesmerized while everyone was singing together. There was also a talent show and she loved watching all the little cousins perform. She even got to be part of the show when Aunt Kirsten picked her up during "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" and flew her around in the front of the room, like she was a little cherub. She really looked like one too - her cute little beaming face and curly blond hair. She LOVED the attention. It was a very crazy night though with so much going on and she was really worn out at the end of the night. That probably explains why she is now doing the sleep of the dead at naptime today. Good thing because it has let me catch up a little on this here journaling.

I know there is lots more to say, but I think I am going to be done for the day. Now that Jane is all better, I have contracted a nasty head cold and my brain has done all the concentrating that I think it is going to do for the day. Blah. If it's not one of that's sick, it's the other one! I can't win!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.