First off, it was Father's day on last Sunday, so to celebrate I got a new lawnmower (which I mentioned in my previous post) as well as a new grill. Technically, this is two father's day presents, however I will caveat this fact by saying that:
- A lawnmower is a lame gift, if that's all you get. That would be like me giving Em a new dishwasher for Christmas or her birthday. Sure, it's useful, and I guess it makes life a bit easier, but really... is that the kind of present you really want?
- The lawnmower wasn't really a gift, it was more of a necessity.
- I was supposed to get a grill for last Father's day, but I had recently dismantled our old deck and had yet to build the new one so there really wasn't a spot for said new grill.
- I didn't actually get around to building the deck until October (a fact that I get reminded of every time I mention the next big money-saving project I want to do...), which meant there wasn't really time to grill last year anyway.
Nice and shiny grill in the background
Then, on Saturday (nothing ever really happens during the week), we went with some friends (Jim & Marie and Dave & Marisa - note the distinct lack of a hyperlink for the latter as they have yet to jump on the blogging bandwagon) to the Swedish festival. I discovered a few things from this little adventure:
- I'm digging the numbered lists today.
- There is a Swedish festival in Utah, which is attended by a rather surprising number of Swedish people that apparently live in Utah.
- There are some International Peace Gardens in Salt Lake City. It is actually really pretty and would be a cool place to take some pictures one night.Sure, they look and cute and cuddly now...
- When a friend asks you if, on the night you normally have a dinner without kids, you could take the kids for a relaxing evening of fun and games at the park, remind yourself that right now there is no such thing as a relaxing evening of fun and games at the park with kids. It's just not possible.... but the minute you turn your back they are off doing things like this!
- Don't ever get into a grass fight with little girls. It's definitely a losing proposition. Especially ones that are clever enough to use their hat as a grass repository, kicking of a nuclear clippings arm race that we haven't seen since the likes of Khrushchev and Reagan in the 80's. On a positive note, the grounds keeper won't need to mow that particular patch of lawn for a good 3 months. Unless it rains a lot and he goes to Hawaii...Pay close attention to the background... and the hat full of grass!!!
- It is absolutely impossible to eat over 1,000 meatballs in a single sitting. Ain't happening. I now know this from experience. I think that between Dave and I there were at least 7 whole cows that died for those gravy-coated beef spheres that we consumed. After our unsuccessful attempt, we both curled up in the fetal position in a meatball-induced coma. I have yet to recover. Jim, however, wasn't phased at all (and he even sucked the gravy off of all of Laine's meatballs!!!), but then again he went to Sweden on his mission so he has a built-in tolerance. At least that's what I am telling myself.
Finally (and my apologies for being so long-winded; I blame Sweden), for family night we were putting together a package tonight for my little sister Tasha who's living away from home right now. As part of the package, we drew some pictures on a pillowcase for her to use. Jane had to do her own drawings, and she would then dictate to Em what they were. I had to take pictures because, well... see for yourself. There's no way to describe it. And keep in mind, Em did NO coaching whatsoever when getting descriptions of these things.
I could tell right away that was an octopus...
... and just looking at that made me think of Supersonic...
... but I started to get a bit lost here...
... and quite frankly, even with the helpful translation I had a hard time seeing a boat here.
Hargensplorgenbreegenmeingen... which in Swedish means either "It's 1:45 and I need to go bed" or "Why on earth am I dressed like this???"