Thursday, October 11, 2007

I Just Don't Get Kids

Allison is an incredibly light sleeper for a baby. Honestly, if she is sleeping and you sneeze in the backyard she will wake up. It's crazy annoying. When I put her down for her morning nap, Jane and I have to sequester ourselves downstairs for fear of waking the monster.

SO, we have been doing improvements to our backyard all summer and recently decided to put in a patio (stamped concrete) and pave the RV parking area at the side of our house that had become a mini amazon jungle. Today the cement came...in the form of 2 big cement trucks (Jane was in heaven). Of course, the trucks came right after I put Allison down for her morning nap. Great, I thought, there is no way Allison will ever sleep through THAT! Her bedroom is right next to RV parking pad. In come the trucks and drive right into the RV pad, their big cement bellies rolling and roaring. It was so loud. One truck went right up against the house and all that was separating Allison in her crib from the big monster was literally a few inches of wood and insulation.

Did Allison wake up? NO! Not at all. Not for almost the entire 2 hours they were there. I was completely dumbfounded. How is that possible? Kids. I just don't get them.

Going on vacation for a week with my hubby. Hooray to be just the two of us but also having a bit of "what was I thinking?" about leaving my kids. Tune in next time to see if we all survive.

6 comments:

Windybrook Spinner said...

You are very brave, but I hope you have a wonderful time. You must have relatives who are good at caring for children for that long. The longest I've been away from my kids is one night when we were up in Montana and Mark's parents took care of our kids. That is so funny about Alison sleeping through all that noise.

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! Good for you going on a trip together. I'm all for that! Hope you are having fun, whereever you are.

Kids are so hard to figure out. My only guess is it's a difference between "white" noise, albeit loud, and the sound of her mommy, whose arms are so nice to be in instead of sleeping.

Ray said...

Hey you guys! I'm finally feeling human enough to make contact with the rest of the world. Your little girls are gorgeous! Sounds like you guys are having fun with your house... it's never-ending isn't it? Have fun on your trip!

Amberly said...

hey there, I'm a friend of Jevan's from high school and ran across your blog... just wanted to say hello and that your kids are darling! I hope you have a fabulous vacation!

Anonymous said...

Hey Emily. I'm waiting to hear about your trip! . . . . I need something to read! Hope you had fun. :)

Anonymous said...

^^ Amberly Banks! Hello! You don't have a blog listed in your profile or I'd come say hi to you there.