Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Birthday Boy and Rockstar

My husband truly loves me. Want to know how much? Lots and lots. Want to know how I know this? Here is all the evidence you need.

1. So several weeks ago, my friend Sarah calls me and says she needs to go Vegas for a friend's wedding. Her husband can't go so she wants to know if me and the girls would like to go with her, make it a weekend, go to Zions or Bryce, etc. I am semi-excited, loving the idea of a trip, cringing at the thought of two little wee ones in Zions as we hike in the cold and mud and such. I tell Jevan about the idea and he tells me it is a great idea, but not to take the girls and leave them with him. Just me and Sarah? A girls weekend out? Really? Really, he says. He says it would be good for me (he has been witnessing me slowly going insane. There has been so much sickness going around at our house that we have all been trapped in the house for what feels like years). Over the next few weeks I ask him again and again if he is sure and he insists that he is. He loves me.

2. What is the weekend I am supposed to go? Oh, yeah,...that would be his birthday weekend. He still insists that I go. He says that it is just a day and we can celebrate it the next weekend.


3. So, after battling much guilt, I do go and have a fabulous time. It has been a long time since I have had just a girls weekend out and it was a blast. Sarah is just the type of friend you would want to spend a weekend with; easy-going, adventurous, fun, and never runs out of things to talk about. I feel so comfortable with her.

Friday night we drive to Mesquite and stay the night. Saturday, we drive to Vegas and while Sarah goes to her wedding, I cruise Vegas and wonder why in earth no one has dropped a nuclear bomb on the place (okay, at least the downtown strip part...sorry to everyone who loves Vegas....just my opinion). After the wedding we go to In and Out Burger (yum), and then toTrader Joes (hooray!) and stock up on all the good stuff. We then get the heck out of that city and head to St. George where we shop the outlets for a while and Sarah tries desperately to make me try on clothes that are at least somewhat stylish and make me look like a girl (it's a really tough job...i'm destined to look like a tom-boy in baggy pants, I think). Then to dinner and onto our new hotel..the Days Inn in Hurricane(pronounced, for all you out-of-towners, Hurr-eh-kun). Stellar place, let me tell you. We were most impressed with all the pieces of hair that were made into the sheets on our bed, the carpet that looked like it hadn't been cleaned since 1890, and the lake of sticky stuff on the nightstand. I kept dreaming that there were bugs eating my feet. Our mantra? "$39.99 a night!"

Sunday, we headed into Zions and hiked Angels Landing (well, almost; we got to the part where you hang onto the chains as you climb. It was super icy and we had to convince ourselves that it wasn't worth dying over...Sarah would have attempted it but I chickened out because I had multiple voices in my head from people I had talked to before the trip saying "Now, Emily, you have a family...don't do anything stupid.." Darn voices. They won this time...) and then hiked to the Emerald pools where a waterfall coated everything around it with a snowy mist. We went back to St. George for dinner and had Mongolian Barbeque (an awesome concept: you get a big bowl and get to fill it with all kinds of veggies, noodles and meat, then dump a bunch of sauce on it and it is stir-fried fresh before your eyes. So good. Back at the hotel we hit the hot tub and then watch chic flicks, eat chocolate covered blueberries and I fall into a blissful sleep. So wonderful.

4. I come home to a peaceful, CLEAN (isn't that amazing? I can barely keep it clean) house, with happy kids and a sick husband with a bad head cold. What a trooper.

He loves me huh? He really does. And I love him back. Lots and lots. Thanks Jev. Happy Birthday...you deserve the best birthday year yet.

More Zions pics:


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! He really must love you. But seriously, what's not to love?! So glad you had fun. Sounds like a perfect weekend! And I'm glad you opted out of the icy cliff-hanging edge. I'm scared on that, even without ice.

Anonymous said...

Oh, two more things. Love the pictures. It makes me want to experience Zion's in the winter. Two, I agree about Vegas.

Diane McAffee said...

Your sweetheart must have been raised right! Thank you, thank you for the little head voices - one of them probably sounded like me. Welcome home.

About Me said...

Emily, sounds like a great thing to do with a good friend. Jevan was sweet to let you do that. Poor guy...I hope he is feeling better from his cold!

Megan said...

Hey! Great blog! I can now blog stalk the Wolleys! Hooray!

I had to laugh about your mexico trip - sounds alot like ours. "Sin alcohol?" "what???"

People in the pool: "Common, just play this volleyball game in the pool..if the ball drops, drink some of this blue antifreeze looking alcohol..."

Server: "I'll get you a drink without alchol...(brings me a margarita which I quickly learn is not virgin). "It just has a little alchol" (pinches fingers together to say just a little).

Yeah, we were wierdos in mexico too!