Monday, January 21, 2008

Snow slugs and angel bums

Today was one of those days that reconfirms to me why I was MADE to live in this state. I think that if I was born anywhere else in the country, I would have eventually ended up here...predestined, I think. Why? For most of the reasons you can guess: mountains, red rock deserts, four seasons, 31 flavors of Jello at Smiths, BYU (HA HA HA - ok not so much...). But the number one reason? I LOVE SNOW! Love it. I like to be inside all snug and warm, watching it come down, and I like to be out playing in it. So when I hear there is a big storm coming, I get all giddy. I don't even know why, really. I like to ski but I am by no means an AVID skier...most years I only go downhill skiing once because it is so crazy expensive. But I still love the white stuff.

So today I was in heaven. Over a foot of snow fell at my house. This is how I savored it: snuggling with my girls under big blankets in the morning, tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch, digging (literally) out the driveway with my hubby, taking the girls sledding and then home for some hot chocolate and dinner. (Do you have one of those indulgences that you know you shouldn't have because it ALWAYS makes you sick but do it anyway? Sadly, that is hot chocolate for me. I would drink it everyday if I could...but I can't).

The best part of the day was definitely sledding. There is a great hill at a park near our house and it was the spot to be today. We took turns taking the girls down on the sled. Jane had a blast. She even went down by herself a couple of times. I was a little worried about Allison getting cold and cranky but I think she fared the best of all of us. She was all smiles. I had her bundled in this puffy, light green, down snowsuit and when she insisted on getting down and crawling in the snow, Jevan declared we were being attacked by a giant, green snow slug. She really did look like one. Of course, I have no pictures to prove her slugginess because I forgot to put the memory card back in the camera. Grrrrrr.

Jevan and Jane got in a snowball fight, which mostly consisted of Jevan tossing snowballs at Jane's belly and her laughing. She got him back by throwing a handful of snow down his back when he wasn't looking. And finally, he tried to show her how to do a snow angel, but as he was pointing out the various body parts in the angel she latched on to the bum part (of course... she is my husband's daughter) and so they are now officially 'snow bums'.

Anyway, that's all. I just wanted to let you all know that I believe in snow and that it is good and true and lovely...and never meant to go down your back; that's just cold.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like so much fun! Except, guess what? Colorado has snow too -- and you don't have to deal with BYU!! I think you should move here!