Monday, March 31, 2008

March was awful good to me...

I really liked March. It was great fun. I did not like how it would warm up for a few days, just enough to get your hopes up and your sandals and shorts pulled out, and then dump snow on your head the next day. I know I've said I like snow, but I like my winter weather to be consistent. None of this wishy-washy stuff. Be warm or cold. That's it. No more messin' with me. Roller coaster weather is lame.

That being said, I did benefit from our snowy weather in a most wonderful way. March is also my birthday month and this year, Jevan surprised me with ski tickets to Alta! Hooray! I have not been skiing in 3 years because I was always either pregnant or had a baby too young to leave all day. It has been brutal this winter to watch us get the best snow we've had in over 10 years, and just sit inside and stare at it. But, finally, my sweet husband gave me my chance! It was so fun to spend the day with him and since we are pretty much at the same level when it comes to skiing, we just followed each other down the slopes. It was such a happy day for me. I just wish it wasn't so crazy expensive!

Easter was a lot of fun too because Jane is starting to "get" holidays. We dyed easter eggs and had "Bunny Day" at my sister-in-law's house. ("Bunny Day" is an awesome concept thought up by my SIL. We hunt for eggs and Easter baskets filled with goodies the Saturday before Easter Sunday. That way, Easter Sunday and the Resurrection are separated from the Easter Bunny, hopefully helping the kids focus on what Easter is really about.) I had a good time putting together the girls' Easter baskets and learned some valuable lessons.
Lesson 1. Don't fool yourself into thinking you are putting the candy and chocolate bunnies in the basket for the kids when your kids are ages 1 and 2. They eat a few pieces and quickly forget about it. You know this. You then eat all the rest of it. And I sure did.
Lesson 2: Even though you know your 2 year old LOVES "chassick" (chapstick), don't buy the kind that comes in the little tin and they dip their finger in. You would think I would have figured this out instantly, but no, I had to learn by scrubbing the stuff off of Jane's entire face and hands. Nice, Em.
Lesson 3: Your 1 year old could care less about Cinderella socks. It's true. You think they're cute, and she doesn't care.

Nonetheless, it was dang fun to watch Jane's face light up when she found her basket.

This past week, Jevan announced he was taking Jane to work on Friday - his self-proclaimed "bring your kid to work" day. Was anyone else bringing their kids? I ask expectantly. Nope. He just felt like taking her because it would be a slow day and would keep her for the morning. Random. Love him, but he's random. But it was great because running errands with one child, especially one that can't walk yet, and hence can't pull things off the shelf (wait, i take that back. Just last week in the grocery store, while I was studying salad dressings, Allison managed to lunge from the cart and swipe 2 bottles of A1 Steak Sauce off the shelf, sending them crashing to floor, splattering everything and everyone with it's tangy goodness. Impressive, no?) is a lot easier than running errands with 2 kids. Jane had a great time writing on everyone's white boards and watching Tigger and Pooh on a co-worker's ipod. She really dug the headphones but Jevan said it made her yell when she talked.

And finally, to top off the month, my good friend invited me and a bunch of our old high school friends up to her parent's timeshare in Midway for an overnighter. A bunch of girls, completely kid-free, talking and laughing until 3 in the morning. We ate a yummy dinner, had brownie sundaes, and then had swedish pancakes in the morning. My favorite phrase of the night was my friend describing her experience at a guy's house one night as a "vortex of nothingness." It was so much fun. The house we stayed in was BEAUTIFUL, straight out of a Pottery Barn catalog, and when I finally climbed into bed that night, I sunk into the most luxurious mattress and bedding - you know the kind that just swallow you up in blankets and pillows and you wonder if you will have to dig yourself out in the morning? Yeah, that kind. Good times. Thank you, Emily! (her name is Emily too - I'm not thanking myself for the good time! :))

So as I said before, I like March. It was a good month.

6 comments:

emily said...

Yes! That was so fun! I'm afraid I've humiliated myself once again, but I'll save the rest for an e-mail. You have a super cute family, random husband, and a great taste in socks.

Crystal Ashton said...

I love the take your child to work day that Jevon invented. Since Ben now works from home sometimes he often gets to take his children to work with him (not by choice, however). Just the other day, Kate decided to invade his office with her entire box of dress-ups and insist that he help her change clothes about 10 times. I found him sitting at the computer (trying to work) wearing a feather boa and sunglasses. Kate was dressed as a ladybug and had a pink purse filled with necklaces. So, tell Jevon that he definitely got the best deal, even with Jane talking really loud with headphones on...

Giving In Blogger said...

Sounds like a fun month! I like the Bunny Day idea, I love child to work day, and I'm so jealous of your fun ski day (but I'm glad for you still!)

Windybrook Spinner said...

Sounds like you guys had so much fun. I wish I could have made it. It was nice to read about it on your blog, though, and see the pictures. Count yourself lucky. My kids eat every last piece of candy I put in their Easter baskets as fast as they can!

Paige said...

Matt said it was fun to have Jane there; she was so well-behaved, too!

And YES, I would love to hang out some time! Any time you're bored just call or email me, and I'll be available 99% of the time :-)

Floyd Family said...

Wow - What a great month! I wish I could have been there to play too! Sometimes it isn't so fun to be far away!!!!