Thursday, November 06, 2008

Definitely a Spooky Snowman

Hooray for our first snow day!! I can't tell you the size of my smile when I woke up to such a thick blanket of white outside. I know I am completely crazy, but there is just something about looking out at a snowy day in a warm cozy house, knowing you can go play outside to your heart's content and come in for a steamy cup of hot chocolate. I get all giddy. Most people think I've lost a few marbles....(although I don't think I was given marbles, I think I got bouncy balls. Lately
it feels like thoughts and information bounce into my brain, then right back out again, just as quickly.)
The girls were all crazy about the snow too - I just about strapped Jane down in her booster seat to get her to eat breakfast. I had to keep reassuring her that the snow would not melt while she was eating her banana. I decided we needed to take advantage of this snow day and do it up right.

After breakfast and some quick chores, Jane and I made some pumpkin bread to bake up a little later - one for us and one for a neighbor. We then started the laborious task of putting on snow gear. Holy cow - I'm glad that I didn't know that it would take FOREVER to get us all fully poofed up or I might have had second thoughts on going outside. After 2 potty stops and several redressings, we finally had all our gear on. Allie, however, was missing boots and gloves as I hadn't bought any for her yet, so I tried to improvise. After pulling on two pairs of socks, Jane's shoes and a pair of my fleece gloves, Allie resembled a creature out of Frankenstein Goes to Antartica (not a book yet, but there's a good idea someone can run with...). Finally, we ventured outside.

For all the work, it lasted a glorious 20 minutes. But we made every minute count. We made snow angels (Jane has been practicing all summer and it was the first thing she wanted to do), threw snowballs for Jasper, and attempted a snowman. We had to build him hastily, as Allie would come and body slam him every few minutes. We had to think fast when it came to his face, so he got plastic doughnuts for eyes (scavenged from Jane's play food), a stick for a nose, a scarf and the crown from the pile of halloween stuff waiting to be put away. The result? Um...he looked a bit freaky. Jane told me we made a "spooky snowman". We named him Spook. Just as we finished, all happy feelings went away, as Allie had now lost both gloves and one shoe and was rolling around in the snow trying to stand up. Jane's hands were cold and she started to howl. Time to go in.

We all had hot chocolate and pumpkin bread warm from the oven, and after lunch, both girls took long naps. Ahhhhhh...so heavenly. It was one of those happy, comical days not to be forgotten. I love snow days.

5 comments:

McKelle said...

We had one of those days too. Really fun for the kids...not so much fun for the adult...well not me anyway. I'm not a fan of snow, but I dealt with it. The snowman is awesome. Gwen didn't get one as cool as that one. Poor girl. I was the one dragging her inside. She could have stayed out for hours I think...and she discovered that snow is edible. Great.

Floyd Family said...

So fun. We just got cold rain. The cold rain angels never turn out as well. The girls are darling. I love watching kids play in the snow. It is the funniest thing!

Unknown said...

HOORAY for snow days. love them, and love your story telling. so glad you record these days - they're not to be forgotten.

Betsy/Mom said...

Nothing is as much fun as looking at the different seasons through the eyes of little people. It always brings make great kid memories of my own. I love the snowman.

Taylertravel said...

Yaaaay! This was the best thing I've read in a long time! I love you Em! We probably won't see any snow until we come to Utah (Dec.28th). Hopefully we'll have snow over new years!! You are the best. -Kaycie