Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Checkmate

Raising kids is like a game of chess, except there are no pieces, no board, and the objective for the parents is not to win, but to help them survive childhood, whereas the objective for the children is simply to drive parents crazy. Ok, so it's not really like chess EXCEPT for the fact that for each and every move there is a counter-move. A few examples:

Move: In order to get attention at night, Allie learns to bodily fling herself out of the crib
Counter-move: Buy a crib prison

Move: Now trapped inside her prison at night, Allie begins taking off her pajamas and crying until we come in and put them back on.
Counter-move: Safety-pin her pajamas closed.

Move: Climb out of the porta-crib while traveling.
Counter-move: Turn that crib right upside down and laugh the night away.

So it's really been a stalemate up until now. But tonight, the game has changed, and Allie has a new move, and I can't think of a counter-move.

Move: Now trapped in her crib and unable to remove her clothing, Allie has taken the only logical next step - stuffing her binky down her pajamas and crying until you come take it out. I'm not sure how but it was literally at her ankle in her footed pajamas.
Counter-move: No idea, other than not giving her a binky and my friends, that is not an option.

Help?

9 comments:

About Me said...

Well, thats tough. The only 2 things I can think of are: 1. don't put her in footed pjs anymore. That way if she does stuff her binky down her pjs they will fall out and she can find it!
2. This may sound weird but if you're not resulting to taking the binky away, maybe have her wear a turtle neck under her pjs to cover her neck and then maybe, just maybe she won't be able to shove the binky down....? good luck!

Unknown said...

this is something jim's mom did, and not having done it myself I can't fully vouch for it. but desperate times call for desperate measures, eh? and here they are, the desperate measures:

tie the bink to a non-chokable length of ribbon or string or something and tie the other end to the crib. if she needs it, she knows where to find it, and no getting lost down the jammies. yikes. how do they get so smart? doesn't it seem like you need a full TEAM of parents to handle them sometimes? I constantly feel understaffed over here...

Windybrook Spinner said...

Tether?

Diane McAffee said...

You could tie the binky on a ribbon to her PJ's so she can pull it out when she sticks it down her neck. Then she can't throw it on the floor either, which is the next move that her feverish little brain is working on.
Have you thought about forming a rudimentary lathe?

Mattso said...

She reminds me of her father!

Lisa Burbidge said...

I love it, good luck finding a solution, I have to take my kiddos away at christmas or I think they just might go to kindergarten with them!!

Anonymous said...

Jevan, Jevan. There's no easy way out...there's no shortcut home. Allie = Ivan Drago. You = Mr. Balboa. Allie says, "I must break you." You say, "If I can change, and you can change, we all can change."

Have you trained in a remote Siberian outpost? Have you worn shiny American flag boxing shorts? Have you done tricep extensions with a net full of boulders?

She thinks you are weak and does not respect you, and until you have completed your training and landed multiple body blows she will never whisper, "He is like a piece of iron."

Jevan said...

Annie - Thought about the 2-piece, but then she'd just take them off and jump around the Guantanamo Baby compound nekkid, and I think putting anyone in a turtleneck is cruel and unusual.

Marie / Windybrook / Mom - The tether is a good idea, but I'm sure she'd then use that to construct a ladder or some sort of device to help her escape. Who knew I was raising baby McGuyver?

Marie - I totally agree with the understaffed comment. I thought it was supposed to get really hard when you had to switch from man-to-man to a zone defense, but right now I feel like we have to play box-and-one just to survive!

Bart - Your comment caused a few reactions from me. First, I laughed. Second, I laughed some more. Third, I asked myself if you had to research all of those quotes or if you had just seen Rocky IV too many times late at night on AMC while surfing infomercials. Not that I know anything about that... Well done. :)

Annie said...

Gotta hand it to her. She's a thinker. I agree though. Eliminating the bink is totally out of the question. So.....good luck with that.