Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Conversation on Christmas

You can always tell when life gets busy 'round here because it's our little blog that suffers. Christmas was wonderful but I'm feeling a bit lazy, especially when it comes to uploading pictures, so I'm procrasting writing a Christmas report (plus we're the only ones who will want to read it anyway....let's face it). I love that I am starting off the new year by procrastinating. Go me.

But I wanted to make sure I recorded this. The following is a conversation we had with Jane at dinner a couple weeks ago:

Jane: "It's almost Christmas time!! I get to ask for presents!"

Me: "What are you going to ask for?"

Jane: (face droops..) "I.......don't know. Maybe a piano." (No doll for Jane. She doesn't play around with the small ticket items.)

Me: "Do know what Christmas is, Jane?"

Jane: "No."

Me: "It's Jesus' birthday. He was born on Christmas."

Jane: "OOOoooo! OOooooo! Do we get to have a party? Can I help blow out the candles?"

Me: "Jev?"

Jevan: (punt) "It's all you."

Me: "Um....it's sorta like a party, Jane. But everyone celebrates it. Everyone all over the world."

Jevan: (raises an eyebrow...)

Me: "Uh...I take that back. LOTS of people in the world do." (heh....who's world vision is a little narrow, eh? Sorry India....and the Middle East ....and most of Asia...*doh*)

Jane: "I really like parties!" (can't seem to get out of party mode) "Will Jesus be there? Can I help him open presents?"

Me: "Uh....not technically. He's not physically on earth right now."

Jane: (staring at me with quizzical look) "Pizzickly?" (thinks some more...) "Will there be cake? (still can't get out of party mode)

Me: "And do you know who His friend is?"

Jane: "Who?"

Me: "Santa Clause!"

Jane: "Oh, yeah. He has to stay out in the snow. If he comes inside, he'll melt."

Me: "Um...I think that's Frosty. Frosty the Snowman."

Jane: "Yeah. He's coming to the party too."

Jevan: "Um....wow. I have absolutely nothing to add to that."

And thus begins the process by which we completely screw up our kids. Amen.


Jevan's addition:

While we're talking about historical and fictional characters and how it can confuse our kids, I figured I would add this little exchange I had with Jane this morning. I was tickling her and she called for Em to come help her. Jane yelled that it was daddy, and I told her that I wasn't the one that was tickling her, but it was in fact the man that lives in my finger, Mr. Bimbo. (For those of you that haven't seen Muppet Treasure Island, you should watch it, but for context you can watch this video. Skip ahead to around 6:45 to get some laughs.) Anyway, she looked at me for half a second, then promptly announced that "Mr. Clara" was living in her finger and was going to tickle me. Touche.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

that's so awesome. thanks for writing it down - WAY better than a Christmas rundown.

oh, and by the way? if you're just now beginning the process whereby you screw up your kids, you're ahead of the game!

Ray said...

that conversation was WAY TOO CUTE!!! Keep up the good work mom! Have fun with the birds and the bees in a few years... :)

Paige said...

HA! That is too funny. I love this age so much. I hope you guys had a great Christmas and New Year's!

Anonymous said...

Jane is such a character. How fun to have conversations with the little ones.

We had a "toast" with some bubbly drink and Alex kept asking where the bread was.."Mom aren't we having toast?" Love that!

Annie said...

How do I love Jane? Let me count the ways!!!! When I asked her what she liked best about Christmas she said "Maybe a toy or something, but I don't really know". I'm SO excited to have her in primary. The kid is a rock star.