Sunday, January 25, 2009

A shower for the birds

This post is dedicated to two of my favorite people, my dear friend Sarah, and my most amazing sister in-law (who I have mentioned many times before in this blog) Andrea. Yesterday, I hosted a baby shower for Sarah as she is due with her first baby in 5 weeks (don't say that too loud or she starts to hyperventilate). I'm really excited for her and wanted to do it up in grand style, especially because if you know Sarah, she would tell you to send out an e-vite, throw some pizzas on the table, and make presents optional (which she did tell me,btw) . Plus, I have to get her back for being so adamant about not finding out what she is having. It's driving me crazy.

Anyway, knowing I wanted to throw a good party, and knowing that creative genius is definitely something I was born without, I called Andrea...'cause she Einstein when it comes to creative genius.

Here was Andrea's challenge - figure how to throw a cute shower that was gender-neutral and something that didn't involve lots of cutesy pastel colors - Sarah just isn't a pink and light blue kinda gal.

The result? Andrea of course came through it with flying colors. Amazing!

Here was what she came up with:

Notice the banner in the window and the birdhouses hanging from the mantle.


The guest(s) of honor.


Cute, huh?

I don't really have any good pictures that do it justice but she did a Mama Bird, Baby Bird theme with different colors of blue and red. It was so cute. Andrea was the mastermind and I was the worker bee (along with other members of Jevan's family - thanks guys!) The birds are handmade, stuffed with rice that sat in lavender for a really long time.They smelled wonderful. They were also the party favors. We had a banner, birdhouses in wheatgrass, menu cards with little bird cutouts....no detail was spared..down to having more little cutouts pasted onto the cups. We had sandwich wraps, salad, fruit, several types of gourmet chips and Andrea topped it off with Cherry Almond cupcakes. Yum. We played pictionary with celebrity kid names which turned out pretty funny. My favorites? Moon Unit, Banjo, and Rocket Valentine.

All in all, it went really well. We only had one small issue involving someone wearing someone else's shoes home....it turned out pretty funny. She had to come back to return the shoes and the poor barefoot lady just said she was happy to know she had good taste in shoes.

SO, thank you Sarah for having a baby (sure life's gonna change, but I have seen your toughness first hand and I know you can handle it. You will be a great mom, and will have this cute little pal to accompany you on all your outdoor adventures) and thank you Andrea for a wonderful shower!

4 comments:

emily said...

Wow. I'm impressed. And I know it wasn't all others - you have talent and creativity too. Hope it turned out the way you wanted.

Paige said...

What an awesome idea for a baby shower theme!! I love it, good job to both you and your sister-in-law!

Crystal Ashton said...

Wow! With a capital W. I can tell you made the mom-to-be feel very special!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a unique and creative way to do neutral! I love it.