Monday, February 02, 2009

When did my eyes get too big?

The other day I was washing Jane's face and apparently I got a little too vigorous, so she told me I had to stop or I would rub her spot right off. I looked at her face and had no idea what she was talking about, leading to this little repartee:

Me: "Jane, I don't see a spot..."
Jane: "Dad, you can't see it."
Me: "Why not?"
Jane [matter of factly]: "Because your eyes are too big. You can't see it because you have big eyes."

I've been thinking a lot about that statement, and wondering what other things there are in life that I can't see because my eyes are "too big". Maybe it's your eyes getting bigger that makes imaginary friends disappear, or what makes a walk through the park routine rather than an adventure.

I get reminded of this every time I watch my favorite TV show, Charlie and Lola (seriously... it's great. My favorite time of any daddy day is seeing Allie's face just light up when the show starts - she positively glows.). It's on the Disney channel and is absolutely fantastic. They are brother and sister, Charlie being older. His eyes are medium sized, but Lola's are definitely small. Lola has the ability to turn anything into a game or an adventure, and sometimes Charlie exhibits big-eye syndrome and gets frustrated with Lola, but eventually ends up joining her.

It makes me wonder how much I miss out on because my eyes are too big. Perhaps if we all could let our eyes be just a little smaller we would be a little happier and more appreciative of the wonderful things life has to offer. And if in so doing I get to see Mr. Snugglyface again (my former imaginary friend) I will be quite happy.

In other news, we were playing house the other day. Em was Allie, I was Jane, Jane was mom, and Allie was ... Allie (don't ask, but she hates it when she has to play dad. I guess technically this means that I wasn't part of the family somehow). Anyway, "mom" was putting "Allie" and "Jane" to sleep, so she tucked us in and decided to sing this lullaby:

(to the tune of Brahms' "Lullaby")

Lullaby, and good night,
Go to sleep and sleep well
Close your eyes now close your eyes
No one will eat your toes.

I have to be honest, I was worried about my toes.

Finally, from the "I think my child needs to get out more" department comes this picture of Jane decorating her room:

Em (my extremely OCD wife) told me she has no idea where this kind of behavior comes from...


It doesn't matter if your eyes are big or small, that is both really weird and really cute.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

love it.

I looked at the picture of jane's "decorating" before I read your caption and IMMEDIATELY came to the same conclusion! "Oh! I bet she gets that from Emily!" couldn't be cuter!

Crystal Ashton said...

I have a different kind of big eye syndrome- My eyes are bigger than my stomach. Did your mom say that about a million times when you were little like mine did?

Anonymous said...

I love Jane! What a crack up! Jev and Em, I think you have your hands full in about 10 years..at least we will be going through the teenage years together.