Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Out of the Ordinary

So here's a little bit of a confession: I don't know if anyone else ever feels like this but sometimes when I am reading one of those blog posts about all the amazing things that person accomplished in one day (cook, craft, redecorate, and still find time to do something amazing with their kids) I either feel inspired or totally discouraged. Sometimes I think to myself, "What did I accomplish today? Let's see, I fed my kids, I switched the laundry from washer to dryer just before it started to take on that mildew smell, and...hmmm..oh yeah, scooped the dog poop in the backyard so the kids wouldn't step in it....(*sigh*)." Sad realization. I was talking about this with my sister in law one day and she said something simple but poignant. "Em, people only really blog their good days. No one blogs all their bad days...so of course it seems like their life is wonderfully productive all the time." Huh. I think people need to blog bad days so the rest of us don't feel like we are about as productive as a doorknob. So I've decided that I am going to start to blog some of my bad days. I don't want to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. Scooping poop is often the most productive thing I do in a day.


That being said, I actually had one of those "good" days yesterday with some stuff I wanted to share. I had to add the disclaimer above so everyone would know this is NOT my usual life. It probably is yours though....'cause all my friends and family ARE amazing to me.

So yesterday I had a cooking success and a crafting success in one day. Granted they were a little bit forced on me (what am I going to do with the herd of zucchini taking over my counter...and...what am I going to do for my Young Womens class activity tomorrow night?) but successes all the same.

First the cooking: Let me just say that I love my garden. There is something so fulfilling about going outside and picking your own food and then cooking with it. I don't know what it is but it really makes me smile. If you have ever thought of starting one, I highly recommend it. Don't think you can't do it. I was intimidated for the longest time but finally got a space ready and just threw stuff out...and it grew!!! I was amazed. I have zucchinis up the wazoo, yellow squash, green and red peppers, beans, swiss chard, basil, oregano, TONS of tomatoes and sweet tomatoes...and...hold on to your hats....cantalopes! Truly a miracle given that I had no idea what I was doing. I was inspired by my sister-in-law who is always making the yummiest stuff from her garden bounty and decided it was time I tried my hand at it. It has been so fun. Jane loves going out to pick things...although she usually gets distracted by the snails, all of which she wants to keep as pets. Yesterday she put one on her swing and pushed it back and forth for a while, asking if it was having a good time.

So as is common with zucchini, I am completely inundated with them at the moment. It has given me the chance to try out all kinds of different recipes. So far I have made zucchini bread, a zucchini and tomato casserole, and am thinking about making some zucchini brownies that my friend tried and said were pretty good. But the best recipe so far was one I tried yesterday and I wanted to post it because I think it is a real keeper. Honestly, SO good. And, suprisingly quick to make. It manages to be velvety and creamy without really any cream. I found it online and then tweeked it a bit so here is my version:


ZUCCHINI-BASIL SOUP
1 1/2 pounds zucchini coarsely chopped
1 medium to large onion, chopped
3 to 4 garlic cloves, chopped (depends on your garlic tolerance)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 and 1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. ground ginger
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
1/4 cup milk (optional...I added it)
1/2 cup packed basil leaves
Cook onion and half of your garlic in the olive oil in a 3 qt saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add chopped zucchini and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add chicken broth and water and simmer, partially covered, until tender, about 15 minutes.
Puree the zucchini with the basil and the rest of the garlic in 2 batches in a blender.
Season with with salt and pepper.


There you have it. See what you think. Next I am going to try a swiss chard dip my sister-in-law gave me.


So I have never been into crafts. I think it goes back to my Girls Camp days when I would watch the boys go on backpacking trips to the Uinta mountains and I was stuck making fabric heart wreaths. I just don't have the skills or attention span for them...although that is starting to change as I do more things...and since I have had Andrea (my Martha Stewart clone of a sister-in-law...although she is a lot nicer than Martha) in my life. Here's what I made yesterday for my Mia Maids to make and take to their secret ward grandparents. We filled them mini-chocolate chip cookies and they turned out so cute. You make them with printed cardstock scrapbook paper. Here's the website I used: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/370063/make_your_own_paper_box/
I figure it was a good little thing to learn because everyone has scrapbook paper lying around and you can make an impromptu gift box really easily. I was mostly surprised at how much fun I had making them.


Anyway, so there is a rare day in my life. Next time it will be about all the other days that go oh so wrong. And to Becca and Andrea...here's is what I hope you are saying right now..."You're doing it, Em. You're playing with us!"

5 comments:

emily said...

Well, I'm envious for one. You did it. I can't wait to hear if you actually have bad days. With your charm..and Jane's antics, I don't think they come that often.

Floyd Family said...

Your garden is amazing!!!! I'm impressed. For me a good day is a day all three of my boys are fed, clothed and remain somewhat safe and happy. (A clean house or any other accomplished project is a miracle!)

Windybrook Spinner said...

I LOVE the snail on the swing. That's so Little Peep. We need to get them together. They might even get along. Nice garden. That is one thing I miss with my small yard, but there is a community garden that I hope to do next year. New babies and gardens don't mix well for me. Just so you know, I have bad days too. Right now I am reading blogs while Tater cries on my lap because I just don't know what more to do for him. Ahhh! Maybe I'll try another diaper change or nurse him again.

Windybrook Spinner said...

PS I am reading your blog right now because you always cheer me up when I've had a hard day. Thank you so much for that.

Anonymous said...

Go Emily! I'm impressed with your craftiness, and slightly envious! I'll have to try that soup.

And hey, thanks for reminding me that I still have towels in the washer from this morning. See? You are entertaining -- and helpful! Give yourself some more credit!