Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Just checkin'.....

Sometimes, just sometimes, you get a glimpse of that little tender heart that resides in every child's heart. It's those little times that make your crazy mom life worth it.

This morning, as I waited outside of Jane's little dance class, desperately trying to entertain Allie with books on my lap, Jane suddenly burst through the door, ran over to me and put her hand on my shoulder. She looked at me with this loving yet concerned look on her face, and said in her little pixie voice, "Mom? Are you okay out here?" I was stunned. I stammered, "Um...yeah, Jane. I'm just fine....are you?" "Yup!" she exclaimed and went dancing back through the door. The teacher looked out at me, just as surprised as I was. I just shrugged and got up and closed the door again.

What the? Could she suddenly sense how difficult it was to keep Allie entertained, to keep her from pulling every book from the shelf, or knocking on the door, trying to bust into the dance class, or trying on every pair of shoes she could possible find (she is so obsessed with shoes - if she doesn't get some weird foot disease, I'll be surprised..)? Perhaps she could sense my slow progression towards insanity caused by days upon days of listening to "The Greatest Hits of Dragon Tales" in the car? Or, could she just have wanted to make sure I was happy and not feeling left out while she got to dance with balloons and hula hoops, and having her own little shape mat to sit on? Whatever it was, it completely made my day. Sometimes it seems that as a mom, you spend all your days making sure you've met all the needs of your kids, making sure they are happy and secure. How wonderful to know that I have someone watching out for me too - making sure I'm okay out here. Love you, Jane.

5 comments:

Windybrook Spinner said...

E and I were eating some grapes. I gave her the last one. She looked at it and then at me, bit the grape in half and shared with me.

Annie said...

Awwwww. What a peanut!

emily said...

Sometimes they are complete and literal angels. I'm so glad you shared that.

Anonymous said...

I love moments that make your heart melt. So cute.

Crystal Ashton said...

Can you send her to my house? At this moment, Conner and a friend have laid "booby traps" all over my house using yarn, masking tape and ghosts (made out of grocery bags- way to recycle boys!) A seriously big mess for a recovering OCD like me. I could really use some reassurance that life will be OK. What a sweetie she is!