Sunday, September 21, 2008

You know the party was a success when...

So Jane turned 3 last week. It was while Jevan was in Italy so we decided not to tell her it was her birthday until we were able to have him home and have a party. However, a sneaky nursery leader at my ward foiled all our plans and told Jane she already had her birthday. She was a little confused but ran out to meet me at the end of class yelling "Mom, Mom, I already HAD my birthday! I'm three and big enough! It was my birthday last night!" (for Jane, anything in the past was "last night." Lunch 3 hours ago was "last night".) How dare the nursery leader be honest and not let me deceive my own child!

So, anyway, we celebrated Jane's 3rd birthday with a bike parade at a nearby park. Despite my reservations, I think it turned out really fun. Here's why I think it was a success:

1. There were no bandaids used at any point and only a few tears shed over random decoration issues. No one was physically or psychologically damaged as far as I know. This is always good when it comes to toddler parties, no?


2. You had family and friends come from far and wide with their little ones. Our crazy friend Jim actually biked to the party with his kids. Mind you, he lives in Sugarhouse, over 70 blocks away. With a few stops, it took him 2 hours! We gave him one of the parade medals because he was so tough. I say they should start a Tour De Disneyland because I would enter Jim and he would win - with Lainey on her trailer bike. Sadly, we forgot to get a picture of them....





3. Gale force winds always make for good party. Gusts kept coming, sending everything and everyone flying. I think there were a couple incidents of people's pizza being picked up and blown into their face. We had to sing Jane's birthday song at light speed in hopes the little candles would stay lit for a mere second. Didn't happen. I also think there were more decorations spread across the park than on the bikes. Several people told Jevan they were disappointed that his wife would throw such an environmentally un-friendly party. I hung my head in shame, but on the bright side the birds will get to decorate their nest with lots of sparkly streamers...sometimes birds need a little bling, I always say...
4. The ever-amazing Andrea made the cake. Isn't it darling? Jevan's mom made the little biker Jane - the real Jane was actually wearing the exact outfit with her hair in pigtails! We had to keep watch over it during the party to protect it from little pokey fingers and fly by bits of the party blowing everywhere. Everyone liked eating it, but no one quite as much as Allie. NO ONE likes eating cake as much as Allie. In fact, if running the country involved lots of messy eating, I'd vote her in for president. She would be all about change - we could all run around wild with shaggy hair and eat 'till our tummies became little basketballs. Her foreign policy would involve everyone sharing their shoes and binkies with everyone else at all times. It would be a happy world. And maybe, just maybe, she too would be able to see Russia from her back yard.



5. A gaggle of kids on bikes playing kazoos. It cracked me up.


6. There were many times when Jane giggled in absolute pure joy. That definitely made the party for me.

(My sister-in-law, Beeca, made this for Jane..so cute!)

7. That night as we are brushing out her hair and getting ready for bed, Jane turns to me and says. "Mom, now I'm three. Someday I'll be ten and then I get to be a cow!" Wow. Keep those aspirations coming babe, even if they do involve bovine. A few minutes later she says again..."Mom, now I'm three....AFTER ALL!" said with an air of exasperation, like she is finally 3 after all she has had to put up with being 2 - like being 2 involved lots more than just learning sentences, potty training, and realizing that your little sister can be bribed if necessary - like it was the hardest year she has yet to go through. You did good, Jane. You made it through.


Jane rode her bike home from the party and as I walking behind her, I had one of those surreal moments when you can't believe this is your life, and the little girl, who is so big now, riding her first bike, is actually yours. Life is good to me and I am so lucky to have her.

Happy Birthday Janers! You are a clever, darling little thing that I absolutely adore.

2 comments:

emily said...

Fun party! I had a moment like yours (While you watched Jane ride home). It was while Eliza was putting her pajamas on effortlessly. I thought, "When did I teach her that? And when did I stop changing her diapers?" Life just passes me by sometimes. You have an adorable family!

Giving In Blogger said...

What a fun party! That is such a great idea to have a parade. Jane is so cute and is getting so old! I loved reading this and seeing all the pictures. You are funny, my friend! And the cake. Priceless. Glad you guys had fun!