Thursday, October 16, 2008

Darn body parts...

So today, while driving in the car, Jane tells me her tummy hurts. She has a history of getting carsick so I pull out my usual response of "Just look out the window, sweetheart. It should go away in a little bit." Most of the time, that does it, but sometimes we have adventures out on the side of the road and I'm washing the car seat cover once again. Is there really anything that smells worse than throw-up? I really don't think so....except for maybe the smell emanating from the rogue sippy-cup with pink milk in it that you gave Jane a week before, against your better judgment, knowing full well that it might disappear into the void of the basement.

Anyway, after I tell Jane to look out the window, she is silent for several minutes and I can tell the wheels are turning in her little noggin. Then her little voice pipes up:

Jane: "Mom, my tummy still hurts. Can I take it off?"

Me: "Huh? Take your tummy off?"

Jane: "Yeah. Can I just pull it off?"

Me: "No, Love. It's part of your body. Your tummy is inside your skin and you can't take your skin off."

Jane: "Please! Why can't I take my skin off? Can I take it off if it gets itchy?"

We then launch into this whole discussion about how you need to keep all body parts attached to your body. I tried to tell her if we took off a limb every time it hurt, we'd all be in big trouble. But you know, it sure does make sense. The tag in your sweatshirt bugs you so you take it off. Your shoes fit too small, so you take them off. You get a bad headache, you pull off your head. There are lots of times I think I would like to be separated from my head, and not always just when it hurts. I think we should be able to remove body parts, fix them, and put them back. I think I'll take it up with Heavenly Father when I die. For now, I just have to tell Jane to put up with her upset tummy...and plead with her not to lose her lunch because I sure don't want to take the darn carseat apart again!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love her imagination! What a sweetheart.

By the way, I found adult size one piece footed pj's at Target. You can get matching ones for you and Jev. I know that you love them!!

Anonymous said...

I love her imagination! What a sweetheart.

By the way, I found adult size one piece footed pj's at Target. You can get matching ones for you and Jev. I know that you love them!!

Anonymous said...

sorry..i hit the "publish your comment" button twice.

Anonymous said...

sorry..i hit the "publish your comment" button twice.

Windybrook Spinner said...

Mark & I sure enjoy your blog. Hilarious. I'll put you on my mug cozy gift list. =)

emily said...

What a creative thinker! So fun to see you guys!

Paige said...

Ha! I love that Jane. She's so smart and logical. :-)

jim said...

I always answer yes to these kinds of questions. It also reminds me of this classic Calvin and Hobbes

http://www.lowpft.com/Calvin.jpg

Emily said...

hee hee - that's funny, Jim. Maybe you should try that with Marie...see if she puts up a fuss :)