Thursday, September 03, 2009

First trip of the season - May

We started our summer with our first camping trip of the year. Our friends had decided to venture out west and wanted us to join them. In all my years of living in Utah, I had never been to the Oquirrh Mountains that lie to the west of the valley. I always assumed they were too arid to be anything very pretty. I have since repented. How wrong I was! Our campsite was nestled back in a canyon with lots of green trees and large stream. (The stream was wonderful and a nightmare at the same time. It was very full from spring run-off and dangerously swift. It took a fair amount of energy just keeping track of the location of every child at every moment so we didn't lose any downstream). We had a great time. I even had my first taste of Quinoa (on a camping trip? I know! We were lucky enough to have some campers who were serious about good food.) The last day, we woke up to a serious downpour and after a VERY LONG hour holed up the tent, we did the next best thing....cosmic bowling. In our pajamas no less. Thank you, Grantsville!

I'll just let the pictures do the talking from here:

Allie shows off her favorite rock before hucking it into the stream. Sometimes it made it, sometimes it just hit innocent bystanders.

The Crew - Jacksons, Nelsons and us. This picture tells all.

Feeding frenzy during the hike. Watch your fingers....

Dad and Jane pose for a picture.

Who's dirty child is this? This is the face of trouble....

This little kid right here was one of the highlights of the entire trip for me. This is Romney. Yes, those are knee pads and elbow pads over his pajamas. They went over his clothes during the day too. In fact, he had them on 24/7, even when he was sleeping. They gave him his superhuman powers, so he said. I think he looks pretty tough, don't you? *smile*

Cosmic bowling in the jammies. Good times.

We saw this place somewhere between Grantsville and Tooele. It made us smile.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey! it's like finding a long lost Christmas present to see these pictures. that was fun. can we do that again? (has it been so long since we've talked that I'm actually communicating with you via blog comments? no bueno.)