Thursday, September 24, 2009

Today, we say a (not so) fond farewell and welcome a new addition.....

Our Booger died.

I wish I could say it was with a heavy heart, but it really wasn't. It's life ended on the freeway in a swirl of smoke.

The old, heavy, stinky guy had been good to us, bless it's heart. (You know you can say something derogatory about ANYTHING, so long as you add "bless his heart" at the end, right? For instance: "That guy that just cut me off is a sorry little man....bless his heart." See? You can vent your feelings AND give him blessings....it's a total win-win.)

Yes, a few weeks ago we said a fond farewell to our Booger, our 1994 Ford Tempo, a lovely shade of turquoise-green, weighing as much as a small building and navigating the roads about as well as one too. Each door was crafted with so much metal that they threatened to crush you instantly if you didn't leap from the car and roll to safety. Trying to get out while parked on a hill was especially exciting.

So, with a loving kick to it's tires, we sent it off to the Kidney Foundation.

And then, we broke down, gave in, and bought this:



Yes, we are the proud new owners of a MINI-VAN.

This is the point where I freak out a little and wonder how in the world my life suddenly got to this stage. I truly had a mid-life crisis during the test drive. You KNOW it makes sense, you KNOW you love having a wonderful little family to putter them around in it, but you still wonder how you went from crazy, adventurous college kid to soccer mom in 2.2 seconds.

Is it just me or did any one else go through this?

At least we still have my baby, the '98 Subaru Outback. It will keep me reminded of the good ol' days.

Anyway, we're happy to have our new "certified used car" toyota sienna. There is just no beating the convenience of a mini-van. It's nice, sensible and gonna go forever and I'm going to love it..........right???

6 comments:

McKelle said...

Yes Emily. You WILL love it, and so will Jevan. We have one exactly like yours. We got it a few months ago, and I felt the same way as you...but like you said, you really can't beat it when you have a family.

Megan said...

We have the same van as well. You will love it. You will love pushing a button to open the door and your kids just running in. You will love being able to load it with 1/2 of your house when you go camping for a night. Yes, I love my minivan! You're an official mom now!

Windybrook Spinner said...

Ugh! I totally know. We still have my baby, a '99 Subaru Forester that Mark drives to work--but just until I can get rid of the minivan and sneak it back. =) Unfortunately, it will probably be dead by then. Maybe I can get a Prius at that point or something better. To be honest, I don't love having a minivan. It is great for hauling kids, but I have a little freak out every time I have to back it up and I'm still not great at turning corners, and we've had ours for a year and a half now. Good luck!

Jenny said...

OK - I am soooo dreading the day I get a minivan...and Jake teases me about it every day! But, I do have to say that the one you got looks pretty cool. Toyota Sienna, huh? I'll keep that in mind ;)

Lisa Burbidge said...

You will love that mini-van and then you will grow out of it and have to get a suburban and then you really feel like where the H did my life go!!!

Unknown said...

(Jim - not Marie) the only solution I can think of to the mini van problem is to put a really cool rack on it along with a big box and fill it with all kinds of adventure gear so you know you are not a big pansy.

without that your pansyness could always be called into question.